Thursday 16 February 2012

Warpcon Game 5 – Space Wolves.



Pitched Battle deployment

Primary Objective: Annihilation
Secondary Objective: Seize Ground



After my win over the Eldar I was feeling confident that I could do well and after enjoying a swift pint
to bolster my confidence I prepared for Game 5, being Kill Points I really didn’t want a shooting or
MSU Army to face, just my Luck, I end up against Wolves...


The Space Wolf list looked like:
Arjac Rockfist
Land Raider Redeemer
A few Wolf Guard with fists and Combi Meltas
Wolf Guard with Terminator Armour and Cyclone Missile Launcher
Priest with Jaws and Hurricane
Wolf scouts with a Melta
3 Long Fang Packs with 4 Missiles 1 Lascannon
One Las/Plas Razorback for one Pack of Long Fangs
Wolf Scouts with sniper Rifles
Grey Hunters with a Melta in Rhino
Grey Hunters with a Melta in Las/Plas Razorback

The Wolf Guard were split amongst the Scouts and grey Hunters. Arjac was in the Land Raider with
one Wolf guard Pack.

I got first turn and set up behind the thankfully Line of sight blocking terrain. I tried to hide my
Manticores as best I could with the Heavy Weapons team and CCS anchoring the right flank with
the Hydras and Infantry sitting on a secondary (skittle) objective looking across the left flank. I kept
both squads of Veterans, the PCS the Mechanised Infantry Squad, Banewolf and Marbo in reserve.
Providing fewer targets for initial fire, also with the LoS blocking terrain I would have had to deploy
in the open.

The Wolves deploy with the Long Fangs in cover on each flank with the Razorbacks hidden behind
the cover. The Sniper scouts set up in the central objective. The Grey Hunters in the Rhino deploy in

the middle along with the Terminator Guard pack. Arjac and his Raider opt to stay in reserve, as do
the Wolf Scouts.

My deployment


Imperial Guard Turn 1: I open up the shooting with all available weaponry shooting at the Long
Fangs and trying to force as many saves a possible, a few are failed and the Sergeants of the Packs
get removed.

Space Wolf turn 1: The grey Hunters advance to the central terrain and the Rhino moves up to my
right flank hoping to engage my Heavy Weapons Team. The wolf shooting is ineffectual but manages
to stun a Manticore and knock a wound off a Lascannon team. The CCS Chimera gets popped and
the squad hop out and move towards the cover. A Vendetta gets stunned but stays in the air.

Imperial Guard Turn 2: I jump the Vendetta around moving flat out as I won’t be shooting with
it. The PCS arrives from reserve and takes up position in its Chimera behind the Hydras. Shooting
continues and a couple more Long Fangs die along with some of the infantry attached to the
Terminator in the central objective.

Space Wolf turn 2: The Wolf scouts arrive and move on the best possible table edge, on my distant
left flank. The Rhino moves up and so do the Grey Hunters with Terminator in tow. The Cyclone
Launcher shoots at my Vendetta and manages to immobilise it, and as it move flat out, it crashes
down. The Sniper scouts ping a few shots around the Heavy Weapons team but they make cover
saves.

Imperial Guard Turn 3: Marbo and the Banewolf arrive from reserve, Marbo deploys in the Central
objective between the Snipers and the Grey Hunters with Terminator. Both squads of veterans arrive
and zip onto the board. Marbo throws his demo charge at the Grey Hunters and kills a few of them
and the other combined shooting whittles the squad down to just the Terminator. The Scouts on the
left flank take some shooting and end up with just the Wolf Guard standing.

Space Wolf turn 3: The Rhino moves up a little bit, one of the Long Fangs breaks from his cover to
hide behind the building with him being the only remaining squad member. The Razorback with Grey
Hunters in on my right breaks cover and heads for one of the Space Wolf Objectives. The Priest in
the Rhino invokes the power of Jaws and takes out a Lascannon and an Autocannon.

Imperial Guard Turn 4: The last Chimera arrives and moves up to provide support where needed.
The vets roll forward as does the Banewolf, looping round the right. Marbo uses move through
cover and gets closer to the Lone Terminator. The Shooting phase sees Marbo take a pot shot at the
Terminator, nothing happens. The Wolf Guard from the scouts gets picked off. And some shooting
happens to the Wolf Guards Rhino, wrecking it. Marbo then Charges into combat and strikes first,
causes two wounds, and Snake eyes!

Space Wolf turn 4: Arjac and his Land Raider arrive and power it towards my army at full speed.
The Grey Hunters from the Rhino hop out and move towards my line. The Razorback sits on the
objective with the Grey hunters still inside. The grey hunters pop another Chimera and proceed to
assault the Heavy Weapons teams, creating a big melee with the Lascannon team piling in as well
and multi charging a Chimera. This results in a dead Chimera and the death of the Lascannon HWT.
The Autocannon team passes Morale and manages to hold.

Arjac turns up
Imperial Guard Turn 5: The army pours fire into the Land Raider and fails to make a dent, Marbo
moves up to assault the sniper scouts and fails to kill anything with his shooting. The Vets move up
and with the CCS charge into the Grey Hunters managing to win combat.

Space Wolf turn 5: Arjac and his Raider move up and jump out, he Chucks his hammer at a chimera
and explodes it. The Veterans inside deploy behind the wreck. The Banewolf proceeds to lose its
turret but soldiers on. The squad then mutli charges and catches the other Vet Squad, leaving just 1
Sergeant alive who manages to outrun the Wolves and heads for the table edge.

The Veteran Sergeant Flees
Imperial Guard Turn 6: I unload every bit of firepower I have left into Arjac and his boys, making
sure I have plenty of distance on them so I can’t be assaulted. I rally the single Veteran Sergeant and
he runs for cover. Marbo continues to fight but combat is still drawn.

But Rallies just at the table edge.
Space Wolf turn 6: Arjac can’t reach anything in combat it so they try and shoot and manage to
immobilise a Manticore. Marbo combat continues and nothing happens.

Game ends!



Based on the Kill points I just managed to scrape a primary win as well as holding onto enough
secondaries as well. Another turn and I would have been toast. It was a great game and a really
enjoyable end to my weekends gaming.

On reflection I may have the timings off on the turns and it could be that I actually went second, oh
well it’s the result that counts. I think that I did actually go second. That would explain why things
seem a little odd, too late to change it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment